What Are Mattress Toppers Made Of?
Mattress toppers are made of different materials, including feathers, wool, latex, memory foam, and polyester blends. However, given Singapore’s high temperature, the most common mattress toppers are latex and memory foam.
Latex Mattress Toppers
When buying latex mattress toppers, you will find some made of natural latex and others made of synthetic latex.
Natural latex is made from the serum of rubber trees, while synthetic latex is made from a blend of latex and synthetic fillers, such as polyurethane.
Advantages Of Latex
Latex has several advantages.
- It is hypoallergenic.
- It has antimicrobial properties.
- It provides good support for painful joints.
- It is durable.
- It does not transmit motion, so your partner’s restless night will not affect your sleep.
Disadvantages of Latex
Latex has several disadvantages.
- It has an odour that fades over time.
- It is slightly more expensive than synthetic latex.
- It tends to be too firm for some people.
- Unsuitable for people who are allergic to latex.
Talalay Latex vs. Dunlop Latex
Latex mattress toppers are made using two main processes, Talalay and Dunlop.
Dunlop latex is made from pure latex serum tapped from the rubber trees. This is the most energy-efficient process, where liquid latex is transformed into foam. The result is usually a thick latex that is firm and durable.
The Talalay process, on the other hand, is used to make lighter latex mattress toppers. It has more air pockets, so it is cooler to sleep on than the Dunlop latex. Unfortunately, Talalay latex will lose shape over time, so it is less durable than the Dunlop latex variety.
Firmer and denser
Softer and less dense
Cheaper to produce
Slightly more expensive
Cooler because it has more air pockets
More sustainable because of a lower production cost.
Memory foam mattress toppers tend to be softer than latex mattress toppers. When you lie on the memory foam and wake up, the mattress takes a little longer to go back to its original shape. Since the mattress contours to support your body, memory foam mattress toppers are one of the most comfortable.
Advantages Of The Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
- It reduces pressure on aching body parts, such as sore and arthritic joints.
- It is soft and comfortable.
- It adds comfort to a hard, unsupportive mattress.
- Reduces motion from the side of a restless partner.
Disadvantages Of The Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- It tends to be hot.
- As it gets older, turning over in bed can be a little difficult.
- It has an odour, especially when still new
- The price is a little high.
Latex mattress toppers are more common in Singapore because they offer greater comfort because of Singapore’s high temperature and high humidity levels. However, because of the higher cost, some people opt for the memory foam mattress topper.
Latex mattress toppers are more durable than memory foam mattress toppers, so you still get value for money. If you have decided to go for a latex mattress topper, you will need to choose between Dunlop and Talalay latex. The differences are evident, so you can easily make your choice.